How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in my second year of lease at the same location. The

This answer was rated:

I am in my second year of lease at the same location. The lease was with a property management company, however just after signing the lease renewal the owner took the "home back" and we now pay him directly.
Currently I am in the process of buying a home and although I was trying to time this with the end of the lease term, 2/28/17, my partner and I fell in love with a house that we have made an offer on and things are moving very fast. If we give notice to our landlord 2 months before the lease ends, what is a reasonable fee we should pay? It's important to note, we have put down a $3500 deposit and rent is $2500 monthly.

Is there a new written lease agreement currently in place or is it a month to month tenancy?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is an abbreviated version of the original lease.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1 year lease term.

Then you would likely be responsible for the remaining monthly payments unless you can find a new tenant.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this California specific? I know each state has different laws on this.

Yes, I have researched California tenant law on several occasions

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Isn't there a requirement to mitigate the costs by the landlord?

Yes, that is what I meant by finding a replacement tenant. If you find someone for him and he refuses to take them on then that would not be considered mitigating his damages. He needs to be part of the process, but generally it is on the tenant to find the replacement.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh ok. Can I ask that the $3500 deposit be applied to rent as well?

Yes definitely. If you are willing to forego it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. That's good to know. Since rent is $2500 a month and the deposit is $3500, it's more than ample for "normal wear and tear".

Yes, I would think so.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much.

Sure, good luck to you guys with this and your new home!

A positive rating of 5 stars would be greatly appreciated.

Asad Rahman and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise a positive rating would be appreciated.

Related Real Estate Law Questions