How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received eviction notice. I owe 3 months rent. If I

Customer Question

I have received eviction notice. I owe 3 months rent. If I pay it I have no way to move. I have a court date set for day after tomorrow. I need some time to get out. I can save the money to pay the back rent if I live with my daughter for a while.I am 71 years old and have to hire help. My husband is in ill health. I need some time. I can only do what I can. HElp.I have been packing but need time to get people to help me.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

My sympathies for your situation; a few minutes please as I look into this.

Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your patience as I looked into this. So, depending on the judge, the court does have the discretion to handle the eviction process in 2 alternative ways;

1. the order for orderly removal. This allows the tenant an additional 7 days to move. This is generally allowed when there is a new residence, but there may be strategic issues with the move.

2. hardship stay. This is when the tenant requests a hardship based on being ill, elderly or disabled. The court can allow the tenant to remain for up to 6 months.

Neither of these are guaranteed, so one would need to request it from the judge.

Another option is to discuss it with the landlord, to have them agree to drop the eviction for a certain number of days; they usually only consider this when the tenant has a set plan- ie a specific move in date, location, etc,

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.

Related Real Estate Law Questions