Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I leased commerical space and had no issues with payments

Customer Question

I leased commerical space and had no issues with payments being applied until I was asked by the building manager to pay him directly. All payments made to him were not applied at the office. He stated that the secretary had embezzled money but I was still liable to make the unaccounted rent. I disagreed but to avoid eviction I made a large payment until I got transparency. The office never supplied me with records after I emailed the request. Instead I was informed verbally that they would not renew my lease and I had three days to vacate, which would be impossible. Do I have any rights under Ohio law on eviction such as 30 days from written or can they lock me out after 3 days? There is no way for me to get the building empty and get clarity in such a short time frame. I have proof that I paid the manager but the office doesn't seem to care. I'm willing to vacate since there appears to be some sort of fraudulent activity going on but I don't know the law on eviction on commerical leases in Ohio. Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to add that I recorded the last two conversations with the building manager where he had told me that he took the money from me but it was not applied because the secretary had embezzled the cash and therefore it was not applied to my lease. It's video recording as well so there is no grey area as to whom I was speaking to.
I believe that he kept the money and did not give it to the office and the only way for him to clear himself is to evict me and convince them to not come after me for the back due balance. In the meantime I'm stuck with trying to find a place to move to in a short time window. Hopefully I have explained this with enough clarity that you can understand the situation. Thank you.
Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; was the manager aware of the recording?