How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Damien Bosco Your Own Question
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2556
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Damien Bosco is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I bought a new mobile home together in May

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I bought a new mobile home together in May (GA). Because my credit was poor (on the advice of the salesman) we opted to use his credit to apply for the loan and I supplied the down payment via "a cash loan" to him. We were told that we could complete some paperwork after closing to get my name on the title along with his. Now we have been told that the only way to do so is to refinance which we cannot do for two years? We both want to have 50/50 ownership of the home (we do have 50/50 on the land) as I am currently unprotected if anything was to happen to him and will receive no tax credit etc.
What are the options to legally have my name added to the home?
Thank you!
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Shouldn't he have the right to add anyone on the home that he likes??
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 9 months ago.

Who told you you could complete paperwork afterward? Did the lender?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not the lender. The salesman at the home center. He suggested we use only my boyfriends info on the application and that I include a gift letter for the deposit. We have since contacted the bank and they told us we can not amend - is there any way to get my name on the home? I put down 20k cash and pay half the mortagage. Can we quit claim or ??
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 9 months ago.

You would need the approval of the lender. Have you spoken to the lender?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they said we can't do anything until we refinance which we are not allowed to do for two years. So what options does that leave us? A marriage? A will?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is not legal form or recourse?
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 9 months ago.

To protect your inheritance rights, a marriage and/or a will are options. A marriage would give certain inheritance rights in and of itself. And a will will bequesting the home to you, would provide you the inheritance right tool. If you believe the sales agent fraudulent induced you to enter into the agreement, there is a potential fraud claim also. I know the answer is not quite what you wanted to hear but at least you know the options. We can continue to discuss if you would like to do so.

Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 9 months ago.

Hello: I am following up to see if you still need further help or have any follow up questions. If so, please let me know. If not, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a rating between 3 and 5 stars for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Related Real Estate Law Questions