Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We signed a buyout contract Aug 17th, had our home inspected…

We signed a buyout contract...
We signed a buyout contract Aug 17th, had our home inspected Aug 31st. We disagree with the "extensive" report when multiple contractors stated concerning things about the report demanding us to bring our 16 yr home to current code, stated inspector opinions, etc. we tried on multiple attempts to get our realtor to address this, but we're told all items needed to be fixed. I could not find the buyout contract, so I asked for a copy. The deadline for them to purchase our current home was on or before yesterday. They still have not given us a closing date, our new home is ready, and we are funded. We completed all the "real" repairs, but they are still wanting us to do code items. We have licensed contractor statements disagreeing with the inspector as well. I recently found my original buyout contract. The addendum to list needed repairs is blank, but the new copy has a hand written statement that we must complete all recommended repairs!!! They changed our contract and breeches their contract.... but we need them to buy our current home so we can purchase our new home! What recourse do we have with an expired date contract?
10/16/2016
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You only recourse here would be to send a written demand for them to comply with the agreement and close on the home. If your demand is ignored, then you need to file lawsuit for Specific Performance to force them to buy the home as you agreed.

You would need an Attorney who handles real estate litigation to assist you with the case. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yesterday around 2pm, the day the contract would expire, they sent an addendum for a closing date extension to the 24th. I opened it, but was at work. I worked late, and didn't have a chance to review it with my husband until this morning. It was only one page and no other explanation. At noon the realtor canceled the document and stated the reason:Seller viewed but did not sign. Will need to reissue with new closing date of Oct 26th. They know we have wanted to close ASAP...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are we stuck paying for the attorney or is an award of attorneys fees commonly given?

Thank you for the additional information. Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Award of Attorney's fees is not automatic or routinely given. You must specifically request for the fees. The Court would review the case to determine if your request would be granted. In this case, it is likely that the Court would grant your request.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law