How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son rented my husband and I an apartment and now the

Customer Question

My son rented my husband and I an apartment and now the landlord says that we left the water running and wants to sue us for an additional 1700.00. My sisters and I cleaned the apartment and the next day my son and I went and picked up our coffee table. There was no water running then and there was no one to leave our key with so we had to leave it with a neighbor. The landlord kept the security deposit of 595.00 and and additional 595.00 for the last month's rent that was paid up front. He repeatedly refused to give us receipts and I believe that he has done this many times before. Other tenants have stated this before. Do we have any recourse?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you do have recourse. Did he sent you an itemized list of the deductions once you vacated and how soon after, did he impose the claim?

Related Real Estate Law Questions