How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41043
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a business in Arbor, MI for 32 years. It is an

Customer Question

I have had a business in Ann Arbor, MI for 32 years. It is an English school that has given me and my family a good life. We are authorized by Homeland Security (now for 30 years) to issue an I-20 document for international students to study in our program on a student visa. The industry has fallen on very hard times. Our enrollment has plummeted, many programs are closing their doors. We are two weeks behind on our rent and our landlord has sent us a Demand for Possession Nonpayment of Rent notice. We are not sure whether to pay the almost $5,000 they are demanding or seek bankruptcy.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

You may well file for bankruptcy here if you have other debts that you cannot pay besides the rent.Chapter 7 bankruptcy would allow you to discharge all and start fresh again.This makes real sense especially if you have more debts .Otherwise landlord can sue here and get judgment for the remainder of lease that you owe.

You can file Chapter 7 here yourself if you have too.Thanks.

Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Here’s a list of the forms most people need when they filefor Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Some of these, however, may not apply to your case.For example, if you are not requested a filing fee waiver, you won’t need tofill out Form B 3BA Application for Waiver of Chapter 7 Filing Fee.

B 101 Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy

B 101A Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

B 101B Statement About Payment of an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

    B 103A Application for Individuals to Pay the Filing Fee inInstallments

    B 103B Application to Have Chapter 7 FilingFee Waived

    B 106 Summary of Your Assets and Liabilities and Certain Statistical Information

    B 106A/B Schedule A/B: Property

    B 106C Schedule C: The Property You Claim as Exempt

    B 106D Schedule D: Creditors Who Hold Claims Secured by Property

    B 106E/F Schedule E/F: Creditors Who Have Unsecured Claims

    B 106G Schedule G:Executory Contracts andUnexpired Leases

    B 106H Schedule H: Your Codebtors

    B 106I Schedule I: Your Income

    B 106J Schedule J: Your Expenses

    B 106J-2 Schedule J-2: Expenses for Separate Household of Debtor 2

    B 107 Your Statement of Financial Affairs for individuals Filing Bankruptcy

    B 108 Statement of Intention for Individuals Filing Under Chapter 7

    Related Ads

    B 121 Your Statement About Your Social Security Numbers

    B 122A-1 Chapter 7 Statement of Current Monthly Income

    B 122A-1 Supp Statement of Exemption from Presumption of Abuse (only if you qualify for an exception to the means test)

    B 122A-2 Chapter 7 Means Test Calculation (only if your income is above the state median income)

    Customer: replied 9 months ago.
    Thank you Ray. We may be back to you shortly. One clarification: this was a one time fee, correct?
    Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

    Lawyer Referral Service—(800)(###) ###-####/p>

    The State Bar of Michigan Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is designed to assist members of the public who want to hire an attorney and can afford to pay for legal services.

    You can locate lawyer here to file Chapter 7 if you want to use a lawyer.

    Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

    Yes it is, let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

    If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.

    Customer: replied 9 months ago.
    Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

    Thanks the stars are at the top to rate, take care now and the best to you.

    Related Real Estate Law Questions