Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have been trying to get a permanent loan modification with

Customer Question
Select Portfolio Servicing Co. and...
I have been trying to get a permanent loan modification with Select Portfolio Servicing Co. and I feel they are pushing me into forclosure. They keep saying they did not receive paperwork that I had faxed twice. The weirdest thing is, On July 1st, 2016, the day after my original modification ended, I received a letter from Chase that SPS was taking over my loan. I was in the middle of a loan modification with Chase also. SPS said I had to start all over again. Is that legal??
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Arizona. What paperwork
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I called SPS yesterday to be informed they are missing paperwork?? Can I go to another bank and ask them if they would re-fi me?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I havent filed claim with anyone. I know there are 649,000 complaints against them plus lawsuits and all their properties are in trust.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/14/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: J. Warren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, the situation you describe is not uncommon and yes that is a basis for the thousands of complaints. A true loan modification may only be granted by the lender that holds the mortgage on the owner's current residence. However, that does not mean that the homeowner can not seek to refinance with another lender in an attempt to save a property from foreclosure.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not impressed actually. I am shocked.
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

I am an Arizona licensed Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. I am a little surprised as well.

While this is not uncommon there are actions that you can take to get the process moving or obtain assistance from HUD directly.

I am going to provide you with all of the steps that you can take.

First, if you have not done so already, I always contact the corporate office for the lender and let them know what is going on. I tell them that if they are unable to resolve the issue the following complaints will be filed:

1. You will file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General. The Attorney General is the top law enforcement agent in the State and they investigate and find that the process is forcing people into foreclosure the Office has the power to file a civil suit as well as prosecute them. I am sure that Select Portfolio Servicing Co. is already on their radar.

This the link to contact the AG and fie a complaint https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer

The State also provides resources at https://www.azag.gov/foreclosure/resources

2. You will file an FTC complaint as that is the Federal consumer watchdog at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1

3. The cfpb (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) at http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

4. Last but not least the Department of The Treasury through the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency at https://www.occ.gov/topics/dispute-resolution/consumer-complaints/index-consumer-complaints.html

Please let me know if you additional questions. It would be my pleasure to continue to work with you. The Attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time and work if the customers do not rate our responses positively. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know and I will request a refund for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter as it would be my pleasure to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The Attorneys on the site do not receive credit for their time or work if the customer does not rate us positively. There is no additional charge to you for a positive rating and you can still receive a refund. Thank you for your consideration.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney