How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to obtain a Quite Title on property in Colorado that

Customer Question

I need to obtain a Quite Title on property in Colorado that I have been paying taxes on for over 8 years and the owner never responds to my inquiries. I had a Warranty of Deed but have lost the original.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: none
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

It is going to take me a little longer to respond than expected due to an unexpected meeting that I have been called to. However, I should be able to get back to you later this morning.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

You may have a claim of adverse possession if you have been in actual possession of this property and such possession is adverse, hostile, exclusive, and uninterrupted for the statutory period of 7 years; and if you have, under a good faith claim and color of title, been paying taxes on the property. To obtain title to the claimed property, an adverse possessor must bring a court action of quiet title to the real property.

I am not sure how you obtained a warranty deed on this without the owner having transferred title to you. But, if the previous owner did transfer title to you at one point and you have simply just lost the deed papers, you should be able to get certified copies from the county deed records office.

Also, I am not sure what your specific question is; so I have just responded based on my best guess as to what you are asking about.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information. If you need or want legal advice or services regarding a particular matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer of your choice who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

Related Real Estate Law Questions