Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Is it legal for realtor to put up for sale sign before a

Customer Question
price agreement is settled?...
is it legal for realtor to put up for sale sign before a price agreement is settled? We are not even on the mls and she put a sign in my yard in a hurry before leaving town for a week.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Pensacola, fl
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: We did fill out paperwork, but there is no signed agreement on price. Also, she wouldn't give me copies of paperwork when asked.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to find a different realtor since she hasn't been very hands on at all.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can she legally stop me from stopping my house listing with her??
10/13/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: J. Warren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. It is not illegal and is often done in the industry as a means of stirring up interest about the property. It is a marketing ploy that many Realtors use and is not unlawful.

You certainly are already off to a shaky start with her. If you agreed to list the property you will need to terminate the agreement. This can be difficult if the language in the listing agreement does not provide for termination. But yes if you signed an agreement with her then in theory she can not agree to let you out of it but you can simply take the house off the market which leaves her without a listing anyway. She can't force you to sell your house but she can enforce the terms of the agreement which usually has an exclusive right to sell which prevents a listing with another agent.

In this situation, assuming you signed the listing agreement, I would advise her we are off on the wrong foot and you are prepared to file a complaint: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/re/complaint.html with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. This would be based on the fact you have not formalized your agreement and she is not providing you a copy (which is unethical).

Next let her know you are also prepared to go to Mediation to resolve this and why waste all that time and why does she want to work with a client that has no confidence in her and no desire to work with her, what a waste of energy and time.

I am very sorry you are dealing with this. You do need to get a copy of what you signed with her and if she doesn't provide you with a copy, immediately submit a complaint using the link above.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or rated positively. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons). I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

J. Warren
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer