How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a HOA take a disable home own we r to small claims court

Resolved Question:

Can a HOA take a disable home own we r to small claims court first not paying their dues?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, they can. There is nothing in the law that prevents someone from suing someone else because they are disabled.

However, it doesn't make sense for them to bring the suit in Small Claims Court, because they'd only get a judgment for the money owed. The usual recourse when someone doesn't pay HOA dues is to foreclose the unit. A Small Claims Court judge can't enter a foreclosure judgment, which means they'll just get a judgment. Disability income cannot be garnished to pay a debt, and neither can Social Security or retirement income. An HOA usually isn't going to go to Small Claims Court unless they have reason to believe the homeowner has plenty of money to pay.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

What additional questions do you have about this?