How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best approach for a tenant to get the longest

Customer Question

What is the best approach for a tenant to get the longest extension in housing matters? Which of the housing judge's rulings are appeal-able?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Housing judge rulings that are FINAL judgments in the case are appealable for good legal cause. So, in order to file an appeal, the tenant has to put up an appeals bond covering 2.5 times rent due (unless the judge decides on a different amount) in order to complete the appeal.

As far as extensions in housing court, the housing courts are fairly liberal on extensions up to 30 days, but beyond that the tenant needs to show some good cause legal reason for the delay, such as severe medical condition preventing them from appearing or some actual breach of the lease by the landlord which is part of the eviction dispute.

Otherwise, generally, the tenant will not get much of a continuance beyond 30 days.