Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I am a resident of sc. I own a commercial fishing vessel

Customer Question

I am a resident of sc. I own a commercial fishing vessel that was docked at a commercial fishing dock. I was out of town during the hurricane, and someone towed my boat out into the river and anchored it without my permission. (To protect the dock). My boat is wrecked. Total loss. Are they liable in any way? Or is it just my loss?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question. I may need to clarify facts first. I will answer & we can discuss issues.

Leah: Terribly sorry for your loss. Presuming you had a rental lease, a landlord (or the leasor) would only have a right to move your property for safety reasons without your permission. Even so, the owner of the premises still would still need to show some attempt of notice to you. Also, there is a question as to whether moving the property to an unsafe area would be appropriate (e.g., was there a place to move it on land if possible or some where safer in the water). Whether or not other property was moved or protected in different ways or whether all was treated the same way is also a question of fact. So, there could be a possible claim against the lessee or the person who moved the property without permission if the movement of the property was not handled with care and was reasonable. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Hello Leah! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars. Best regards.