Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Someone in our neighborhood called the Pound on my next door

Customer Question
neighbors who leave 2 dogs...
Someone in our neighborhood called the Pound on my next door neighbors who leave 2 dogs tied up in their backyard all day and night without food or water. The neighbor thinks it was me & now has a large red note in their side window saying...'Mind your own business c**t !' I am trying to sell my travel trailer & if someone comes down my driveway, they can see the note in their window. Can I have the Police have them take it down?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
10/9/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Just to clarify, the sign is in the neighbor's window? If yes, how do you know it is directed to you?

Also, have you told them it was not you who called the pound? Have you asked them to take down the sign?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I am Not going over to that house.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are not helping me . Someone will be looking at my trailer at 2pm today and this sign is Big and red and you can't help but see it from my driveway.

Unfortunately, their is not much, from a legal standpoint, you can do about the sign the neighbor chooses to display on their own property. It is "free speech" and not something a court can remedy for you.

Their would need to be some sort of threat to your physical safety for it to cross the line to illegal and be something the police or the court could remedy.

Any potential buyer would probably see this as a reflection on the neighbor, more so than you. Additionally, they may not even know it is directed to you. Why not to a relative he expects to come by later? Just a thought.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Are you still online with me? Did you have further questions?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer