How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Broward county change my condo assessment for tax purpose

Customer Question

Broward county change my condo assessment for tax purpose from $203,000 to 281,000 and cancel my Homestead exemption due to we rented out our apartment for approx. 4 month. What remedy available for us?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida, Broward county
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I filed for hearing with Value adjustment board
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: letter from Broward county stated "the rental of all or substantially all of dwelling previously claimed to be homestead for tax purposes shall constitute the abandonment of such dwelling as a homestead."
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under FL law, so long as you reside in the residence on January 1, you may rent it out the rest of the year and still qualify for the Homestead exemption. However, there is a catch to doing this and that is that you cannot claim the homestead exemption 2 years in a row if you rent it out part of the year.

You have been denied the exemption this year but may claim the exemption again next year, and alternating years after that, so long as you live there as your primary residence January 1 of those years.

You will be able to file an application to re-establish your homestead after January 1 2017. Here is a link to the form:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good evening,

Is there anything else I can assist you with this evening?

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,


Related Real Estate Law Questions