Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My company moved me across the country after I signed on

Customer Question
with them. They have...
My company moved me across the country after I signed on with them. They have given me 60 days of temp housing, but I have not been able to secure housing in this very tight housing market. I am looking at an eminent return to my home state. I would like help with negotiating down what I will have to return to them due to the way the move has been mishandled.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I will review your question and develop a response. We may discuss it too. Does that sound good to you?

Did you have a written contract? Also, what states are we talking about. Where is the headquarters or where was the contract signed or where were you originally hired.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They moved me from GA to Medford, OR. This area is experiencing a surge in the housing market. Rentals are even hard to come by. I have a contract... Will locate.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The company is headquartered in Portland, OR.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can send you a summary of events if you can give me an e-mail address.

Sure. But first, you must realize that Just Answer is not a law firm and cannot negotiate an contracts on your behalf. You would have to hire an attorney, most likely in Oregon. I may be able to get you a legal referral number for you that you can call to get numbers of attorneys if you want me to do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think that's what I need. They are saying that if I leave I will owe not only the sign on bonus, but airfare, the rental on my temp housing ($95/day) etc. I have nowhere to live in a few days if I stay.

This all seems rather strange. When you say to them you cannot find affording housing what do they say in return. I will look up a number for you.

Here is the legal referral number:(###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The local people acknowledge that housing is tough to find here. The people in Portland seem to have NO idea, yet one of the HR reps sent me a copy of an office memo that went around about a year ago acknowledging that housing in this area is difficult at best. Rentals have long waiting lists, etc.

it just seems like they could work this out with you; possibly giving some type of credit or extra compensation. In any event, you could have a claim based on various factors. So, it may be best to speak to a local lawyer who can get on the phone with them or write a letter on your behalf. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how long can we talk for $59?

You mean on the phone? Usually it takes between 10 and 29 minutes depending on the questions a customer has. So up to about 29 minutes. After that I have to go back helping other customers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I just go over the details with someone at the number you gave me?

That is a referral number that you call. They can refer you numbers to attorneys in your area. If you still want to speak on the phone, I can send you the offer to do so; it is up to you. We can continue here also.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Go ahead and give me a call(###) ###-####

It will have to be in about a half hour. On the phone now with another customer. He locked me in...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay

Hi again: I just sent you the offer for the phone call. You can accept it and we can speak on the phone.

Hello: I have not heard back from you. I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If not, I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love you to give me a 5 star rating. But if there are still issue outstanding, let me know. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney