Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We own a condo in Boca Raton, Florida. It's been in my

Customer Question

We own a condo in Boca Raton, Florida. It's been in my family since it has been built. The board have submitted new "rules" of the association. I am understanding that I wholly own the unit and whatever I do within my walls (or studs) is my business.
While I am not going to sell in the near future, I had an apartment size washer and dryer installed at least ten years ago. We travel down for one-two months a years. The apartments are forty-four years old and are lovely but not fancy in comparison to newer communities. However, some of the owners who possibly live there year round have extensively renovated and are getting $100,000 or better for their two-bedroom, two-bath units. They are now trying to implement the rule that whomever has a washer and dryer have to remove them with the sale of the unit. But, washing cars will be okay. I find this ludicrous. We installed our washer/dryer because we didn't want to use the one washer/dryer located on the first floor and shared by ten apartments. My other feeling is that who would want to purchase our apartment (after extensive renovations with all modern conveniences) without being able to do laundry within our walls.
While we are not planning on selling in the near future, we want some good advice as to our rights.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you asking if they can pass that rule?

.

Or whether you have to abide by it?

.

Or something else?

.

.

thanks