How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it Legal to draw up a paper by the person to buy the

Customer Question

Is it Legal to draw up a paper by the person to buy the property and then change it before they take it to someone to type up. The original had dates and signatures, but no discription of property other than address.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have second thoughts of selling.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that once you had the original signed document, that is a binding contract, even if you intend to have it later typed, the original signed document with the address can be deemed a binding contract I am afraid. The courts hold that the reason for using written agreements is to bind people to the deals they made, if not a written agreement would be useless.
If you refuse to sell, you would be in breach of contract and the buyer could sue you for money damages or even "specific performance" which is a court order to you to force you to complete the sale as agreed upon.

Related Real Estate Law Questions