How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42172
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My attorney represented my broker's wife during a divorce,it

Customer Question

My attorney represented my broker's wife during a divorce,it seems to be causing a delay of game,is should this have been brought to our attention prior to signing on to either party
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: new york stste
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is a realestate deal
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

You can terminate the lawyer here if you feel he is the cause of delays and other issues.I agree with you there is a potential for conflict.

You certainly have that right if you choose and move forward with a new lawyer.Since the lawyer has not been responsive you may choose to go in a different direction and use a new one without such conflicts and baggage. I agree to me this should have been disclosed at the outset if it affects your real estate deal.But it is not too late to get new lawyer and complete it.

You could also seek to have broker release you but since they work on commission it might be easier to change lawyers.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Conflicts of interest under NY rules see page 10-14

You can also file a legal complaint on the lawyer as well here.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

File a lawyer complaint here

Thanks again and good luck here.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

You can also file a broker complaint here too.

The Department of State is committed to maintaining the integrity and competence of the licensees within its jurisdiction. Should a member of the public believe that a licensee has acted in an untrustworthy or incompetent manner, he or she may file a complaint with the Department's Division of Licensing Services. The complaint will be reviewed and an investigation will be commenced to determine whether the licensee should be disciplined. Both the licensee and the complainant are kept apprised of the proceedings.

A licensee who is found to be in violation of the law is subject to reprimand, fine, suspension or revocation.

Instructions for submitting your complaint:

You must print and complete the complaint form.

To submit the form via regular mail: After you have completed filling out your form. Please remember that you are
required to attach copies of supporting documentation for your complaint (receipts, contracts, applications etc.). Mail the form to:

NYS Department of State
Division of Licensing Services
Complaint Review Office
PO Box 22001
Albany, NY###-##-####/p>

•To submit the form via email: If you have Internet access, please attach and submit this form via email. Other forms
of filing will delay our response to your complaint. Please remember that you are required to attach electronic copies of
supporting documentation for your complaint (receipts, contracts, applications, etc.) Maximum file size is 10MB.

Make sure to follow these simple steps:

1. Open your internet email account and type the following address in the addressee field:

2. Attach the completed copy of the “Complaint Form” from your computer to your email. (Note, you may also attach any other supporting documents related to your complaint to the email if they are available in electronic format.)

3. Press “Send.”

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.