Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I Paid first month rent and deposit and moved into an

Customer Question

I Paid first month rent and deposit and moved into an apartment 9/1/2016 and 10/01/2016 there is anew landlord and He wants to raise my rent and for me to pay more rent. Is this legal. also I am having trouble with my unit. The kitchen sink has not emptied in 2 days.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Waukegan Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He just took over today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I contacted the Landlord to tell them about the sink and they told me they no longer owned the property
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you under a fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Has the landlord given you any type of written notice to increase the rent?

.

Did you tell the new landlord about the sink and ask for repairs?

.

.

thanks