Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

The timeshare condo we own in Texas is billing the owners

Customer Question
for repairs to the building...
The timeshare condo we own in Texas is billing the owners for repairs to the building due to their neglect over many years. Repairs are about 3 million dollars???. We are reluctant to pay do to the poor condition of the condo, in South Padre Island.
Please advise if there is way too out of this.
JA: Have you thoroughly reviewed the contract?
Customer: WE have owned the condo over ten years. I would have to go to my bank to find the paper work.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: The deed? was filed in Brownsville TX
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of right now.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Did the condo tell you on what they were basing their billing? Not the repair, but the authority to bill you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The building is closed for repairs, due to state inspectors said they would have to have to make the repairs being the building did not PASS state inspection.

I was talking about why they think you (and other owners) should pay for it. Is it based on a rule or regulation, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where would I find out the answer to your question. I was talking about why they think you (and other owners) should pay for it. Is it based on a rule or regulation, etc?

It should be in the notification that they sent you advising how much you owe or, at least, that's where it would normally be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They sent owners an invoice for the amount. No estimated cost from the company, with a break down that quoted the repairs to meet code. My source said about, $3 million! I have received three notices.

All right. What specific question did you have for me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I get out of this, my wife & we do not have or want to pay the amount they are asking for. We believe the maintenance fee will be higher than last year. There are sites that say they can get you out of your time share for a fee of course, can they, what can you do?

The places that say they will get you out of the timeshare are usually a scam. They will take your money and then not do anything for you.

The only way to get out of a timeshare, not to continue owing money or incurring debt for additional repairs, is to file a bankruptcy. That wipes out the debt and allows you to "give up" the timeshare.

Those are really the only options unless you can find a reason to sue them to get out of the contract. The amount they are billing you for now could, potentially, be a breach of contract and you should get a local lawyer to review everything to see if that is a possibility.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney