Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My father purchased the house that I presently live in

Customer Question
because I had filed bankruptcy...
My father purchased the house that I presently live in because I had filed bankruptcy and he had a better credit score; thus, getting a lower interest rate. We purchased the house in 2013 and both live in the house. I have applied for a reverese mortgage with AAG, my father is 94 years old and they want me to do a quick claim deed to have my name put on the deed because at his death, with my name on the deed, nothing would change. We live in the state of Georgia.Question:1. I just need to have my name put on the deed; not change ownership; is a quick claim deed the best way?
2. Is there another way to have my name added to the deed besides quick claim?
3. What is the best way to have my name added to the deed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/29/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I am here waiting for your response to my questions.

You would need to be on title to take out a reverse mortgage.

1. I just need to have my name put on the deed; not change ownership; is a quick claim deed the best way?

Actually, since you are not on the title your father would add your name to the title by using a quit claim deed.
2. Is there another way to have my name added to the deed besides quick claim? The only way to transfer or add an owner to real property is with a deed.

3. What is the best way to have my name added to the deed? Your father would sign a quit claim deed.

Yes the quit claim deed is the best way to transfer the property and is customary.

This link sets out information on quit claim deeds in Georgia and also provides forms http://www.quitclaimdeed.com/georgia/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see that there are quick claim deed forms that I can get on-line; is this something I can do or do I need to hire an attorney?

Please have an attorney prepare one for you so that you can have the property pass to you directly rather then going through the probate. Where in Georgia are you located so I can provide a link for Attorneys in your area that provide FREE consultations?

Please ignore the additional services request.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter as it would be my pleasure to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PROVIDE A NEGATIVE RATING TO RECEIVE A REFUND. Are you still with me?

Do you have any additional questions for me? I am not sure if you aware that the site does not provide credit to the Attorneys for their time and work if the customer does not rate them positively. Thank you for your consideration.

Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum. My name is ***** ***** your prior expert asked me to follow up with you.

I read the information above and everything is correct.

I do have three questions that may help clarify things a bit:

Is your father still living, or is he deceased?

AND

If he is still living, do you intend to own the property together, or is he transfering it to you alone?

AND

If he is still living, is it your intent to transfer the property now (preferable), or are you trying to transfer the property upon his death (much harder if you plan to do it using a deed - really not a legally enforceable method, you would need a trust or will)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is something new to me, I have been with Just Answers for over 8 years and have never had an attorney transfer my questions to another attorney for him to get credit. There is both positive and negative points to this. However, I will go ahead and respond back1. My father is still living and is 94 years old and in good health and in his right mind.
2. I just want to have my name added on the deed and not transferring the property to me
3. I am 69 years old and we are applying for a reverse mortgage and my name needs to be on the deed for me to continue living in the home without a mortgage payment upon his dimise.

I opted out as it did not appear that I was being helpful to you. It is more important to me that our customers are satisfied with the assistance they are receiving on the site even if it means opting out of a question and receiving no credit. Thank you for using.

Real Estate Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Seattle Scott

Since the goal is for you to get on title now and then be the sole owner after your father dies and avoid the house going through probate at his death, your father needs to sign and record a quit claim deed where he "quit claims" an undivided one half interest in the property each to you and him " for love and affection as joint tenants with right of survivorship and not as tenants in common". You don't need a lawyer to draft up the deed, but a lawyer would only charge around $150 to create the deed. Then the deed must be recorded with the county recorder's office int he county where the property is located. If you tell the county I can look up what the recording fees would be.