Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

The neighbors are building a new double wide garage and want

Customer Question

The neighbors are building a new double wide garage and want to cut branches off my tree because said branches are on their property and will be in the way of their new build. Do I have to let them? Who should pay for the work? Can they do that without my permission?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Legally if the branches from your tree are crossing the vertical boundary created by the property line, then that is considered a trespass to property because the tree is your personal property and is encroaching onto the neighbor's property.

.

So yes, they can trim the limbs back to the property line, but the caveat is that they can't kill the tree or you can hold them liable for damages.

.

So do you have to let them?....you can't stop them from doing so.

.

Who should pay for the work... they can do so at their expense, but if they are creating a nuisance, they could sue you in court and get a judgment against you to force you to remove your limbs from their property.

.

Can they do that without your permission?.... yes.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks