How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55608
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My HOA this past year was turned over to the home owners

Customer Question

My HOA this past year was turned over to the home owners from the developer. We need to reregister with the state of Michigan as a nonprofit. Can one of the board be designated as resident agent? The only address we have for the HOA is a po box and we can't register with a po box address. What address could we use? Is it a wise idea to use a board members address?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable for a board member to be the registered agent and to designate their address as the registered address for your entity. This does not make the board member personally liable; it simply designates that board member as the person designated by the entity to receive notice and where. That's all; the only burden on the board member is then to notify the board of any notices received at the board members address as the registered agent.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

An alternative is to use a professional entity to fill that role. There are professional entities that serve the purpose of acting as registered agent and principal address for you. The best, ***** ***** view, are CT Corp ( and Capitol Services (