How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37386
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in need of assistance. I purchased a condo that was

Customer Question

Hi, I'm in need of assistance. I purchased a condo that was converted from a multifamily in 2011 in MA. Since then there have been numerous defects / malfunctions resulting from poor work from the contractors used to develop my property, that have only surfaced recently.
Most recently, my HVAC unit is need in of replacement due to leaking water. I received an estimate of $10,250K to repair. It was informed to me that the contractor that was used to set up the AC unit, never connected the drain. Accordingly, as long as the AC unit has been running, the water has never drained.
What is the best course of action? Should I take this to small claims or hire an atty? I have several other issues, including a malfunctioning fire alarm, and faulty electrical wiring. Your advice is much appreciated, thank you!
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation.


If there are serious defects with the property that you have just with the property that you have just become aware of, there is a six-year statute of limitations in Massachusetts for filing a breach-of-contract action. So if the seller was negligent in upgrading the was negligent in upgrading the property or performing repairs you can hold them liable for the cost of making repairs now to put the property into workman like condition.


However, the limit for small claims court in Massachusetts is only $7,000 so you would need to hire an attorney and sue in a higher court if you wanted to recover all your damages.





Related Real Estate Law Questions