How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37343
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in an apt complex built 1995. They have no push

Customer Question

I live in an apt complex built 1995. They have no push buttons to open heave front doors. I believe they need to install a door open. Thanks Craig Dobkin - I live in Superior Colorado
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


If they have no handicapped accessible automatic door openers, then this would be a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act as well as the Fair Housing Act. The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 outlines design and construction requirements for covered multi-family dwellings for first occupancy after March 13, 1991. “Covered multi-family dwellings” means buildings consisting of four or more dwelling units if such buildings have one or more elevators; and ground floor dwelling units in other buildings consisting of four or more dwelling units.


So you can tell the management that they either install an automatic door opener or you visit the closest civil rights attorney and will file suit for violation of federal law and they can see whether it is cheaper to defend a case in federal court or install an automatic door opener..


If they ignore you, contact a local civil rights or disability rights attorney and they may be able to just send a letter threatening to sue them to scare them into putting in the opener..





Related Real Estate Law Questions