How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Attorney Your Own Question
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1224
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Bill Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, my mother is with

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I am in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, my mother is with a man who pays for most of the bills, but the house is in her name. He is abusing drugs and stealing her medication, how does she legally remove him?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No, what paperwork?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I can think of now.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 12 months ago.

This is attorney Bill assisting you today.

This is strictly legal information with no lawyer-client relationship ensuing.

Massachusetts does mot recognize common law marriage between cohabitants, so it could be as easy as evicting the man if he is paying rent by sending an eviction notice; if he is a guest all she needs to do is box up his possessions , change the locks and ask him no longer to enter the house and arrange for an alternate mailing address.

If she needs to go through the courts to enforce an eviction, she can file the paperwork with her local housing court, municipal court or District Court. This is only if there is a tenancy in place, which from your information appears not to be the case.

For any domestic violence with the evcition, she would need to contact the sheriff's department for support.



We are here for all your follow up questions

Best of luck

Attorney Bill