Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I own a house in Los Angeles in a HOA. Changes are reviewed

Customer Question
by an Architectural committee and...
I own a house in Los Angeles in a HOA. Changes are reviewed by an Architectural committee and apparently neighbors have 10 days to express any concerns.
I was away for work for two weeks and during that time the commitee has approved a change to my neighbor's house that i have an issue with. Because the document was placed at my house and I was away and was never contacted any other way, they say that the decision is final
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can they approve something without even checking if the neighbors have even received the docs to review? No attempt to call or email or send the doc certified, it was just slipped under the door...
9/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: socallegalwork, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
socallegalwork

Hello. I will try to assist you. Unfortunately, it may well be within the rules. HOA's are given tremendous leeway and it really comes down to whether the notice provided was adequate per the HOA rules. If the HOA followed its own internal rules there is not much you can do except raise the issue at the next HOA meeting. You can look through your association's own rules of procedure and confirm they were followed. If not, you can raise this point with the HOA.

socallegalwork
socallegalwork
socallegalwork, Lawyer