How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was living with a man who rented a house in Williamson Co

Customer Question

I was living with a man who rented a house in Williamson Co Tn He misrepresented his relationship status , And his children and wife showed up at christmas we had only been in the house for 3 months , a crying jerry springer show ensued , so I moved out . His son was attending school there , we agreed he would stay in the house I paid the last of the utilities to current status , removed my name from them left a house full of my furniture , and now he has skipped out and the landlord served me for the rent he would have received , I am currently living 3 states away and cannot get back intime for the court date .
What are my rights and what do I do ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am terribly sorry to learn of this situation.

Unfortunately, I do not have very good news.

With regards ***** ***** landlord - you are still contractually obligated to pay the rent to the landlord (by signing the lease you agreed to be responsible for this obligation to the landlord, your agreement with this man and his family is not binding on the landlord).

To deal with this issue and the court hearing, I would recommend contacting the landlord ahead of time (as soon as possible) and see if he is willing to allow you to enter into a repayment plan of some sort, and agree to place a "stay" on the court proceeding so that you do not end up with a judgment against you. (Depending on the landlord they may agree to that). If you get such an agreement, make sure that you get it in writing, and make sure that something is submitted to the court (you should also have a copy of this and get one that is "file stamped" and returned to you (to do this send two copies to the court along with a self addressed stamped envelope and request that they return a copy to you).

With regards ***** ***** reimbursed, you can sue the man for breach of contract and get a judgment against him to compensate you for the money that you owe to the landlord. You can do this in small claims court and you do not need a lawyer. (But this is only to reimburse you, it does not relieve your liability to the landlord).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just paid you , you do not have all the info yet , so you want me to pay more ?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are referring to. (If you received a "request or offer for a phone call" please disregard that as I do not participate in the forum's program - if you would like a phone call from an expert on the site you can do so in the future, but there is an additional fee for that Premium Service).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to report this site right now you have charged my card