Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I went to the secretary of state, there's no deed since

Customer Question

I went to the secretary of state, there's no deed since 1999. I want to purchase the home. The landlord doesn't want to sell, but refused to fix anything. Her company signed the deed over to herself. I never had a lease and all utilities are in my name.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

I have read your comments, but I don't understand what it is that you are asking as they appear to be statements, not a question..

.

Did some of your question or comments get cut off?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to purchuse my home. I'm not sure how, in my situation.

This is what you posted...

.

""The landlord doesn't want to sell, but refused to fix anything.""

If the landlord won't agree to sell to you, then there is not a way that you can legally force them to do so..

.

So if there are big problems with the house, then your recourse here is to contact the local Code Enforcement or Housing Inspector and request that they conduct an inspection and cite the owner to force them to make repairs.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't believe she has the deed to the home legally.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The company IMS INC. Is her initials it never was an incorporation. And she as the owner of the company she signed it over to herself. The company closed in 1998.

Ok, the way you find out is to go to the local Recorder of Deeds office in the county where the property is located...not the Secretary of State. Deed are local, not statewide, so whoever the local Recorder of Deeds office says is the legal owner is who it is..

.

The Secretary of State has nothing to do with this...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We also went to the record of Deeds just to discover that the deed for the home was never recorded. The last transaction that they have at all for the home was in 1995 when it was transferred from HUD to IMS Inc. IMS AMC went out of business in 1998. Everything should have been liquidated then. We even research their office and went by the address to find that it doesn't even exist anymore.

Ok, did you have another legal question that I can help with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the any thing I can do from this point? This is about as much info I can find anywhere. I've done that. Where do I go from here?

What is it that you are trying to accomplish here?

.

If you are trying to buy the house and the landlord won't sell, then as I said earlier, there is not a way to force them to sell to you..