Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

Is it worth my time and effort to go to probate over the

Customer Question

Is it worth my time and effort to go to probate over the name of my late husbands real estate team? His partner is just keeping the name
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: She has been working with an attorney, but no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 10 months ago.

Good morning and thanks for using JUST ANSWER. The intake information was very sketchy, can you please provide more details about the situation that you are inquiring about? Thanks, ***** ***** forward to your response and to working with you later today.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we have come up with a dollar amount for her to buy me out. I inquired about the Name of their business, if that was worth anything to me was told I would need to go through probate. am I making a mistake in not doing so.

When a partner is bought out, there is usually an agreement regarding the continued use of the deceased partner's name. In a real estate company, or law firm with an established reputation, retaining the name may be an important factor in the buyout. If the sale is not going through probate already, I don't know why adding use of the name itself would change that.

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.