Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I own a side by side condo. The roof was recently redone and

Customer Question
I own a side by...
I own a side by side condo. The roof was recently redone and we signed a contract in April to complete the roof. I paid $3400 in April and the owner of the other condo was suppose to pay the remaining 3400. She refuses to pay the roofer and he is demanding the #3400. Am I legally responsible for the remaining portion of the payment
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn about this situation.

Unfortunately, as between you and the roofer - you owe the roofer for the remaining amount of money (you signed the contract agreeing to pay the money in exchange for the roof being completed).

However, you have a right of reimbursement against your neighbor. If they refuse to pay you can sue them in small claims court and get a judgment (which you can enforce with wage garnishment, bank levy, or a lien against their property (including their condo)).

See: https://www.wicourts.gov/services/public/selfhelp/smallclaims.htm

But you do have to pay the roofer.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer