How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have been in a relationship (common law marriage) for 9

Customer Question

Have been in a relationship (common law marriage) for 9 years. Home is in common law husband's name. We bought & paid for together. If we separate do I have an recourse regarding the house? Residing in the state of Illinois, Illinois does not recognize common law marriages. We have everything financial joint except for the house & I have proof of all joint financial accounts.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is there a reason that you didn't put your name on the house? That is, as all other accounts and finances are held joint, there would need to be a legal explanation why you didn't do this with the house...

Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.