LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I have a situation...My boyfriend and I reside together in

Customer Question

Hello...I have a situation...My boyfriend and I reside together in the house he owns...He is legally married to someone else... They have been married for over 10 years. They were separated for 5 years before I met him so they only lived together for about 3 1/2 years before separating... The house we live in he bought by himself the in December 2010...His wife has never lived here. We started dating in May of 2011 and I moved in with him in September 2014. He would like to put the house in my name in case something happens to him and I could get put out by the legal wife. Is that possible and how would we go about doing that. The house is paid for and he is the sole owner.
Thank You for your advice,
Cheryl
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good evening Cheryl,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In order for him to ensure that you can stay in the house even if something happens to him is for him to add you to the deed of the property by simply preparing and filing a quit claim deed in which he deeds the property from himself, to himself and you as joint tenants with right of survivorship.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge of just $5 more I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug