How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34541
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I applied for homestead exemption being a disabled vet at 64

Customer Question

I applied for homestead exemption being a disabled vet at 64 years old. I received a letter from the Douglas County Tax Commissioners office requesting further documentation. I provided the documents. Never heard anything from the Commissioner office and My second years taxes went up approximately 400 from last year. And I thought my age gives me a break on County school M&O 37.97 and County school Bond 626.47. Why am I being ripped off. And can FOIA help me find out what the heck is going on?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me, what state is this in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Douglasville GA.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Looks like payment for phone call failed. You can contact


And they can address this

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

As for the FOIA request, GA does have a FOIA is called the "open records" law.

This law requires that agencies (like your county) MUST keep records of activity that they conduct and must release these records on request.

So you can make the open records request (you contact your county clerk and they can let you know the process to make the request) to get more information on this

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm looking for different Expert, I appreciate your time P. Simmons.

Related Real Estate Law Questions