How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am hoping you can help me figure out... I had fallen

Customer Question

Hello, I am hoping you can help me figure out...
I had fallen behind on the Master Home Owner Association because I had unexpected expenses. They sent me to a lawyer and made a payment agreement but had car issues that made me fall behind again. They have now placed a foreclosure on me and I am trying to work out another agreement. However, I am trying to work out another agreement and have them remove the lawsuit. However, from owing $1,200 it is now $4,767.92 (included a "foreclosure complaint" for $1,500, very high letter fees totaling $975 for 4 letters plus $598.82 for demand and lien letters , same letters listed before, filing, postage,service process. Can I request for it to be discounted. I am a single mom, head of household with 5 people in my house. Please let me know, I don't earn much money and this is so difficult and can't afford a lawyer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can ask for a discount on their attorney's fees and also waiver of any interest/penalties, but most times from dealing with these HOA in FL they will not agree to reduce anything. The most we have had them do is agree to a payment plan adding on a payment for the delinquent amount to the current payment and thus increasing your new payment.
Legally, there is no leverage at all in this case for you to use to force them to agree to the waiver of any penalties/interest. These HOA are very fierce about these fees once they sue, so your only realistic hope is to negotiate to at least stop interest.