How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a past tenent move out July 31 with past due rent

Customer Question

I have a past tenent move out July 31 with past due rent over 5000 and over 100000 in damages what is my course of action? Debbie Lang
This is in Hennepin County
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Your course of action at this time, is to file a civil lawsuit against the tenant for the damages suffered and unpaid rent. Seeing the amount and what is going to need to be done to actually collect ( after you get a judgment), you should strongly consider retaining legal counsel and then ask to be awarded the attorneys fees as well, in your judgment. You can start by sending a demand letter and itemized list to the tenant and then if they fail to respond and settle, file suit.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Real Estate Law Questions