How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hope you are well. I live in South Carolina. I'm behind on

Customer Question

Good Morning!! I hope you are well. I live in South Carolina. I'm behind on my Homeowner's Association dues. I've tried for over a year to work out an agreement but no one ever got back to me. Now, they've turned it over to an attorney in which I'm going to be charged their fees. I made a payment at the end of August and the Homeowner's Association cashed it even though the attorney said that the HOA would endorse the check and send it to the attorney. However, the check was cashed by the HOA and not by the attorney. I don't have the money to pay the attorney especially when the HOA never returned my emails. My question is ~ if the HOA cashes the check, does that mean I can deal with the HOA and not the attorney and can tell the attorney that? Many thanks!!
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

You're allowed to talk to the HOA, as long as they are willing to negotiate with you. There's no right to deal with the HOA instead of the lawyer over their objection. If the members of the board don't have a legal background, they may not be comfortable interacting with you one on one, and they don't have to. But you are allowed to ask them. The only restriction in the law is that if you had a lawyer, your lawyer would have to speak with their lawyer directly.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?