Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

In Mississippi law, if a builder knows of a defect in the

Customer Question

In Mississippi law, if a builder knows of a defect in the lot of a house and builds on it anyway without fixing the defect (say a water problem with the foundation), this constitutes fraud. The fraud eviscerates the sales contract and any binding remediation that has taken place. Does Virginia law have the same provisions?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Have you checked the licensing status of this builder through the State

"In Virginia, if a builder sells a home with a known defect that is in violation of the building code, the builder must disclose this in writing to the buyer prior to signing the purchase contract (or if it is a pre-construction contract, upon receipt of a certificate of occupancy for the home). (The builder’s disclosure requirements are found in §55-518 B. of the Virginia Real Estate Disclosure Act.)"

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-home-construction-defects-virginia-your-rights-against-the-builder.html

Are you online with me?

Please do not hesitate to ask me additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my time and work I would appreciate it.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your previous contributor has opted out, I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, did you have any further questions?