Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

What is considered personal property under North Dakota law

Customer Question
in the eviction process?...
What is considered personal property under North Dakota law in the eviction process? It is a commercial lease, are they allowed to take their company vehicles, welders, tools?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/9/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. I am here to help you with your question. We may discuss the issues too. Let me know that sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats fine

Great. Can you provide a little more detail. I understand there is a commercial lease. Was there a lack of payment on the rent? Was there a court proceeding? Let me know so I can see if I can help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are being evicted for lack of payment. They were served with a 5 days to vacate notice.

Is there a court order of eviction?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think so. It is a company near us, and the employee is a friend and being left to deal with it.

Okay. I know your question is about personal property. Are you asking whether the landlord can go in and take that property?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The order says they can remove personal property, what is the definition of personal property?

Okay. Sorry to belabor this but do you mean that the tenants are allowed to take there own personal property with them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says the tenants can remove their personal property, does that include vehicles, tooling, machinery?

Usually, in a landlord tenant situation, personal property means anything that is not a fixture of the premises. So, vehicles, tooling would be allowed. The same with machinery, unless the machinery became such a part of the real structure of the building or space (which is unlikely) it is now part of the space. For example, if someone put in new lighting, the court could rule that that lighting is now part of the structure and is no longer personal property. We can discuss more if you would like to do so.

Hello Shawn: I have not heard back from you. Do you want to continue to discuss your question or are we complete? Please let me know. Thank you.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney