Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I received a summons in the mail for a foreclosed property.

I was never an owner...
I received a summons in the mail for a foreclosed property. I was never an owner of the property. It belonged to my ex husband, who has owner the house since 2004. We were divorced in 2006. His signature is the only one on the documents attached to the summons. I do not know why they are coming after me.
9/9/2016
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

Good evening. In all likelihood, the mortgage lender is not "coming after" you. The title search may have turned up something that indicated you may still have an interest in that property. Whether it was a judgment arising out of the divorce or not I can't say. In order to clear the title for the bank, you have to be named so that you can answer as to any interest that you may have in that property. If you fail to answer the complaint nothing will happen other than a default judgment will be taken as to any interest that you may have been able to claim.

I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer