Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I live in Indiana - in my own house that I bought recently

Customer Question

I live in Indiana - in my own house that I bought recently under my name only. 3 months ago - I invited my girlfriend because she was about to be evicted. Since then - things got complicated and we broke up. She decided to leave the house a week ago. She still needs to recover her things but I am not comfortable to let her come into the house without me being present. She says that is her home and can come and go as she wants. The Comcast contract is under her name - same thing for the ADT (home security) contract. Could you tell me if I'm allowed to prevent access to the house or not?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

I would argue that she abandoned the premises and would not allow reentry.I would store her stuff elsewhere here or take it too her.I would not allow her reentry.You need to disable the alarm or cancel it if you can here.Again don't allow her in here it would then require eviction if she is claiming residence.You are allowed to prevent access.Change thee locks and deny her access.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

She abandoned premises.You don't want her to claim otherwise.Move her stuff and store it elsewhere.

This is the safe way to deal with this.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.If you can leave a positive rating it is always sincerely appreciated.