Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I was a renter at a home owners hkuze and she changed the

Customer Question
locks and kept all my...
I was a renter at a home owners hkuze and she changed the locks and kept all my belongings..... I am the third person in this town she has done this to
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Were you ever formally evicted through the courts?

.

What is your legal question I can help with?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No she just decided she didn't want me there anymore no notice and no written rental agreement... I was paying her five hundred dollars with no running water in my place....

Ok, so what is it that I can help with today?

.

I need to know what it is that you want to have happen here so I can figure out your legal position and how to help...

,.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to file a class action claim

Ok, in order to file a class action, you have to ask the court's permission and must normally have at least a couple hundred plaintiffs so as to make individual lawsuits impractical and too difficult for the court to address..

.

So suing a landlord for an illegal eviction in a class action is not going to legally happen..

.

If you want to sue the landlord for the illegal eviction, you can do so in small claims court for up to $10,000 and you don't need an attorney. You would have to get the summons and complaint forms from the clerk and then complete and file them along with any filing fee. Then you have the summons served on the landlord by the sheriff (the clerks help with this) and then you come to court and tell your story and present any evidence.

.

Assuming you win, you get a judgment against the landlord for your costs and any damages the judge awards.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer