How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Esquire Your Own Question
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Alex Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenant in a home that was foreclosed upon and

Customer Question

I am a tenant in a home that was foreclosed upon and purchased by Fannie Mae. I'm also a victim of domestic violence. I do not like sharing that .. however I know there are protections in place for section 8 HUD assisted renters who are victims of DV. . not certain there are protections for those without rent assistance. I also moved to this area and rented because I started a nonprofit organization which recently received a grant to help end homelessness among victims of domestic violence. Our organization was planning to use the attached apartment as the office. The house is located in a pretty rural area in south arkansas. I followed their directions and requested to rent the home for a year and then purchase it. Was served papers to move a couple of weeks ago and have been visited by another man trying to get me to take 3,000 to leave now. I'm really exhausted from it all, but I don't want to fail victims who desperately need the help.. do you have any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights / legal options that might potentially apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are there any protections under VAWA for tenants other than those in place for individuals receiving government based rent assistance? It looks like there would be protections under VAWA that cover women who support themselves, as well...
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

No. Unfortunately, there are no VAWA type protection for tenants who end up in foreclosed properties and generally the only option is to accept the "cash for keys" offer from the new owners, such as offered by the Realtor or unfortunately, the new owners would be able to pursue an eviction to remove the tenant from the foreclosed property and having an eviction on the person's record can make it extremely difficult to qualify for another rental.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just really seems a little discriminatory.. when realtor came by my home he represented himself as being with Fannie Mae and he said the reason that victims remain with their abusers is because they like it. I followed Fannie Mae's options to remain tenant in place and never received a response other than an eviction notice ..
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

I completely understand your frustration, but the realtors are in fact contracted by Fannie Mae to offer tenants in the foreclosed homes a "cash for keys" in order to avoid eviction process and if the Realtor acted unethically and/or unprofessional toward the tenant, then such improper actions can be report to the state Real Estate Board and the Board will investigate the complaint and will take proper disciplinary action based on the findings of their investigation.

I wish you the best of luck!