How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118261
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two brothers & I own a one family house jointly. One brother

Customer Question

Two brothers & I own a one family house jointly. One brother who has been living there with his family and paying his siblings no rent but taking on the responsibility of paying the taxes is now refusing to sell (the other brother is willing to go along with whatever he wants). I am an 83 year old widow and need to cash in my share of the equity in that house because I now need the money to live. Is a partition lawsuit the way for me to force the sale of the house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that if he is refusing and refusing to even buy you out then you would need to file a suit to force sale an as part of that suit you would ask the court to force him to buy out your share or if he refuses then you would ask the court to force sale of the house and to set the price or order an appraisal done and that the house be listed for sale.