How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a storage unit on my home property that I have rented

Customer Question

I have a storage unit on my home property that I have rented to someone for the past 10 years. He has has his belongings in this unit for 40 years or so. When I bought the property 10 years ago, he signed a rental agreement, form # 935 lease of personal property. He is now 4 months past due on your his rent. I have written him 2 letters, the last one certified which was signed for, along with an eviction notice which gave him him 30 days to pay past due rent or remove his belongings . I have not received a response . I do not have a current phone number for him but have contacted his son, also with no response. This storage unit is very large and full of his belongings.
What are my rights as the property owner ? Do I have the right to sell and or dispose of the contents of the unit?
I live in the state of Oregon.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Before attempting to take possession of the tenant's belongings, I would recommend actually filing a "Forcible Entry and Detainer" action (eviction) against the tenant.

You can do this in the county court in the county where the property is located.

The court form can be found here: (you will need to change the county name).

Make sure to have the tenant served, I do recommend retaining a process server to do this for you (it is a small cost, but they will do it properly, quickly, and file a notice of service with the court for you).

This is a "summary proceeding" so the court will issue judgment for you swiftly (usually in less than 14 days), and you can get a writ of eviction that allows you to remove the tenant's belongings (usually a notice to them that their belongings will be disposed of is sufficient to have them come and collect them).