Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have 6 acres that I'm told will be sold for back taxes.

Customer Question
There is also a notice...
I have 6 acres that I'm told will be sold for back taxes. There is also a notice of federal lein in it I'm unable to work and on ss income. Can I save my land?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Iola, tx 77861
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Don't know. I just got a letter from a company stating the sale and wanting to make an offer.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/3/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

While it is possible that your property can be sold through a foreclosure process if there is a tax lien against it and you do not pay, I strongly recommend that you consider the source of your information.

If you have received an unsolicited offer to buy your property from a business or firm, but have not received a notice of foreclosure or sale from the IRS or any other government entity, there is a good reason to be skeptical.

Unfortunately there are a lot of businesses out there that take advantage of people that have tax liens against their properties that the government has no immediate intent to foreclose on, but the owner can be scared into selling (at a steep discount) to these companies in order to avoid the threat of foreclosure by the federal government.

If you are in fact facing an actual foreclosure (meaning the federal government really is intending to foreclose on your property because you haven't paid your taxes and they no longer want to wait), I recommend retaining a local realtor to help you market your property to buyers and sell the land - the taxes will be paid off in escrow, rather than selling your property at a discount to an unsolicited buyer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can the county sell the land when there is a federal lien also on it. The lien will be more than back taxes or the land value?

Yes, the County can also exercise its lien rights separately from the Federal Government.

But the same principles regarding unsolicited offers to buy your property apply. Be very wary of these individuals (if someone is sending you this kind of offer, there must be more value to your property than they are willing to let on - nobody offers to throw themselves on top of a tax liability that is greater than the land is worth unless they know something you don't).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer