How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We homesteaded land owned by sister but now she is selling

Customer Question

we homesteaded land owned by sister but now she is selling to an outside person can we still clam the well we drilled and own?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer, when you say "we homesteaded land" - what exactly do you mean by that? (That term can be somewhat confusing, and I have found that the legal meaning (an exemption of a certain amount of a homeowner's equity against collections, is not what some people mean when they say that)).

Based on the context of the rest of your question, I am concerned that you are living on property that belongs to someone else (your sister), and you are wondering whether or not you have a property interest in improvements you made to the property while you lived there (the well). If that is your question, the answer is "no" - you do not have a property interest or claim in these improvements, and unless you had a contractual agreement with the landowner (your sister) for compensation for installing this well, you would not be entitled to any money for the improvement.

Related Real Estate Law Questions