How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 28344
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a house which went to court before closing and the

Customer Question

I bought a house which went to court before closing and the house is closed with a clause that old landlord can keep their stuff in my house for 4 years.
Now I needed move out of state and I still have 21 months time to keep their stuff.
Asked old landlord nicely will pay for storage and shipping not agreeing .
I need to sell the house and move what can I do. In state of Indiana
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me a little more about the situation? What was the issue with the home that a judge ordered that the landlord could keep their house there for 4 years after you bought it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no issue, old land lord decided not to close 2 days before official closing date and claimed she never signed the contract.
The contract was signed by agent as they live out of town. It kept running back and forth in the court she wants me to Pay more money but claimed as she has lot of stuff that she cannot move.
Finally she agreed to close if I keep the stuff oin the house for 4 years.
Now I need to sell the house and she wants 3k a month for 21 month remaining . I offered moving and storage only.
It was an addendum saying can keep stuff for 4 years.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If there was an agreement to keep the items stored for 4 years, then it would control. I am inclined to believe that it was not anticipated that you would sell the home within those 4 years, so this was not addressed, in the contract. As such, it is at issue now and what you presented was the most reasonable alternative. That being, that you move those items to a storage unit and pay for it for the remaining time. The unit can be within a reasonable distance from the home, as well. Her demand for 3,000 a month is unreasonable, as she was only able to store these items there. A storage unit, depending on how much stuff she has, should be around $100 a month. You can obtain some estimates and then simply offer to give her that amount but require she remove the items. Essentially, she has the choice of storage or taking the money and removing them and this is what you can present to her. If you can not agree and sell the home and move, then you would have to store her items, allow her access and if she wants to sue you, defend the suit at that time.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.