How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33424
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On August lst, 2015 I offered an acquaintance who had been

Customer Question

On August lst, 2015 I offered an acquaintance who had been unemployed for over a year and received an eviction notice to come stay with me for a couple of weeks until she could get herself settled. She stayed until March 1, 2016 even though I had given her several dates that I wanted "my house back to myself" to no avail. My basement is full of her stuff meaning furniture and tons of boxes. I gave her until Sept. 1, 2016 (today) to get that out of my basement. She currently lives (???) in California and to my knowledge has come back to Omaha to do so but she is finding other things to do and hasn't started. From her past in not meeting my deadlines I doubt that she will meet this either. What can I do? She did not pay rent or for anything while she lived with me. Thank you.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

You have to evict her. The issue becomes one of finding her to have her served. If you can't find her the judge will allow you to do what is known as "substituted service" which can mean serving it on a relative of hers that she stays in touch with, doing it in a notice in the newspaper, etc.

Once you get her served and get the final hearing set you also need to have the court make some kind of determination as to what to do with her stuff if she doesn't show up. Some people get an authorization from the court to put the items into a storage unit and then send the details on the storage unit to someone that can get in touch with her. That method appears to work best and you are protected if you are doing it pursuant to a court order.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.